15.5.10

Ode to a Device

I've only known you for a week.

I hope never to know you, only to discover and be delighted forever at every touch, tap, purr, hum.

How could I have known the magnitude to which life would feel, if not complete, then more interesting, more active, further inspired than it had been previously, when the fancy of wanting a new plaything first crossed my mind. I hope the novelty never ends. If this is how you respond to thorough use, toy, I shall use you thoroughly. And so long as you serve me well, I swear, you will be mine.

I am in love with my iPhone. And frankly, am not prepared to entertain an ounce of shame for it.

It was a customer service rigamaroll the likes of which could only be worthy of revolutionary technology. I feel as though I'd been resisting this flint napping fad for 40,000 years. But it's ok, I've got it now, and I never have to worry about starving, or the glare of my enemies again.

I felt guilty for even wanted one, as has been the case prior to my acquisition of other must-have Apple products in the past. I may have masked this by broadcasting my intention to upgrade my handset loudly and publicly, croud sourcing for reviews, endlessly prosandconsing with the competition. We all know I wasn't fooling anybody.

I'm spooked. Excepting a long-forgotten blankie or Cabbage Patch Doll, I cannot say I've encountered or owned an object that elicits such a strong emotional reaction. I love it. It's the aquarium I could never afford. It's the garden homelessness prevents. It tells me what's in season. It keeps me level, compass pointed, and stops me fumbling in the dark.

I like them here Apples. I hope I never get over it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Boulevard de Maisonneuve Ouest,Montreal,Canada

No comments: